Monday 4 March 2013

Peace Corps Timeline

May 30, 2012:  Started Application

June 28, 2012:  Notification that application system was changing...figured why not wait for the new format since they said it would be much better than the first one!

August 15, 2012:  Re-started application.

September 28, 2012:  Application Submitted (got nervous and wondered if I was good enough...so it took me over a month to finish it!).  Also completed medical history survey

October 2, 2012:  Links for references sent out.

October 2-November 16, 2012:  Back and forth with first recruiter.  She was out of office for a little while, one of my references took a while to send in the reference, recruiter asked for another reference, my documents wouldn't upload, and Hurricane Sandy...it was like Murphy's law!  Everything went wrong!

November 16, 2012:  Also transferred to 2nd recruiter who would interview me.

November 26, 2012:  Had my in person interview!!  It went well.  I had my fingerprinting packages done and was told I would find out if I was nominated within the next week.  Also asked to do a skills addendum for one of my listed experiences.

November 30, 2012:  Received an email saying:
"Hello Lorre-Ann,
Thank you for breaking down your teaching/mentoring experience for me.  I am thrilled to have found a program that I feel fits your skills, interests, and the needs of the Peace Corps at this time.  Please let me know if you would like to move forward with the application process with the following assignment that I have found for you:
Assignment Description:  Secondary English Teaching   Tentative Departure:  Early June 2013
This assignment requires Volunteers to co-teach full-time in the classroom with one or more local English teachers, as well as to design and implement English language clubs and other community activities. Placements are often in rural.  Volunteers will teach in middle school through high school English. 
Living environment: Cold winters
Given all the factors we have to consider and the competitiveness of the application process, to have found a position like this is a very important step.  Please contact me as soon as possible if you would like me to recommend you for this program.  This is the extent of the information I have for this program. 
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING:
These positions fill and close on an ongoing basis so responding promptly is important. I cannot change the nomination so be certain about your decision but also be aware that I propose this as the most fitting assignment available and that if you decline, another may not be offered or be possible.  It is important to know that the process is still competitive so staying engaged and continuing to gain hands-on experience is extremely important for receiving an invitation. 
The next email I send in confirmation of your nomination and will give you more information about the next steps.   There will likely be a period of time when you may not hear from Peace Corps.  Don’t worry, you application is in process and you can always check in or send updates on skills that you are gaining.   Once invited, every Peace Corps volunteer has the opportunity to experience new cultures, develop warm, collaborative relationships and use their skills in meaningful service. 
Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any questions or want to discuss this assignment."

I emailed back that day asking to be recommended.

December 5, 2012:  Received official nomination email

December 12, 2012:  Received legal packet

December 13, 2012:  Mailed off legal packet

January 4, 2013:  Legally cleared!

January 22, 2013:  Grandfather died.

February 1, 2013:  Emailed by 3rd recruiter to answer additional questions

February 6, 2013:  Invitation to serve in Mongolia (Departing May 30th)!

February 7, 2013:  Accepted invitation.

February 12, 2013:  Invitation packet arrived...also the day I had to leave to go to Jamaica for my funeral (mind you, my aspiration statement is due within 10 days of accepting the invitation and all my medical and dental forms are due at the end of March...passport/visa application due asap...see what I was saying about Murphy's law?!)

February 16, 2013:  Grandfather's funeral and aspiration statement/resume due...while I'm out of the country.

February 12-March 2, 2013:  In Jamaica...stressing because I can't get my forms in while I'm out of the country.

March 5, 2013:  Passport application mailed (They received it on the 7th)

I'll let you all know any updates from here on!

March 12, 2013:  Dentist appointment for x-rays/exam (Later found in that one page wasn't filled out and had to ask the dentist to do it and then I re-uploaded it)

March 23, 2013:  Finally got to the doctor to fill out my physical exam form/read over HHF.  Also had to take more blood for tests (Had to go back for these results on March 28).

March 26, 2013:  Last of the appointment series...Too bad my results won't be in by my March 31 deadline.

March 29, 2013:  Uploaded everything I had except the final results that I'm waiting for.  So relieved that I made it!

April 9, 2013:  Problems arise (http://lorlorspcjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/because-my-life-is-eternally-run-by.html).

April 23-24, 2013:  Problems fixed,  I got my final medical clearance, and I found out information on Staging!

May 29th:  Left for Staging

May 30t-May 31, 2013:  Left for/Arrived in Mongolia!!!!

June 7, 2013:  Moved in with host families!!

August 12, 2013:  Left host families/found out Language Level (success!!)/Site placement!

August 17, 2013:  Swearing In (aka immense amounts of crying then going to UB to prepare to got to site).

August 19, 2013:  Left UB for the forever long bus ride to site.

Sept 1, 2013:  School opening ceremony!

Sept 2, 2013:  My first day of school!  The nerves!


No comments:

Post a Comment