Wednesday 5 June 2013

Сайн байна уу? (Sain baina uu?)

I've been in Mongolia for almost 1 week now, and I love it.  Of course I miss my family and friends, but  I can definitely see myself spending 2 years (maybe more?) here.  Although the weather is quite unpredictable (rotating between spring, summer, and winter...all in one day),  I think an AWESOME country picked me.

First, we traveled for what seemed like FOREVER to get here.  We left DC at about 4 am on Thursday morning and arrived in Ulaanbaatar (UB) at about 11 pm on Friday night (Keep in mind that we traveled across a 12 hour time difference).  From DC we went to Detroit, then to Seoul, then finally to UB.  When we got to UB, we were greeted by warm welcomes from current volunteers followed by a rather chilly spring night.  We packed our luggage into the trucks and got into our bus and drove to our ger camp.  We got settled into our gers (I had 4 AWESOME ger mates) and went to bed to wake up the next morning.

SN:  Our gers were tourists gers, so we didn't get the full experience.  Also, for those wondering what a ger is, see here:

Outside:

Inside:




For the next couple days, we woke up for breakfast followed by various intro sessions.  We got to know the Peace Corps Mongolia staff (both American and Host Country staff) in the sessions.  We learned about security, a little about the language, and some of our expectations.  On one of the days, we went to the PC Office in the city to get shots and get a tour of the city.  Our tour guide (who is finishing up his 3rd year as a volunteer) gave us some great insight into what to expect during our service along with taking us to some cool places around the city.

On the day we left UB, we went to immigration to do our fingerprints and pictures for our official ID (Alien Registration Card).  Then we took a 4 hour drive to Darkhan (which is where we are now).  We arrived in Darkhan at around 4 in the afternoon then we went out to dinner with some of our PST trainers.  After dinner, we all took a walk to see a Buddha statue in the city.  It was beautiful!  It was big and it felt like an honor to be able to witness it.  Since that day we have mainly been going to training sessions in a school close to our hotel.  The sessions have been very informative and just adds to my excitement to get started on my service.

I bet you're wondering about the food.  So far I've been doing well!  Most of the meat here is red meats (lots of mutton, beef, etc) and sometimes chicken.  The vegetables I've had so far have ranged from salads to plates of potato, squash, and other heavier veggies.  I have had something to eat everyday and that makes me so grateful (can't say I had the same luck in college!).

That is but a short synopsis of my first week in Mongolia.  It's been SOO great and I can't wait to get to the rest.  At the end of this week, we will move in with our host families (next BIG, exciting step!).  I'm so ready to get started on more intensive language and cross cultural training and also ready for the experiences I'll have with my host family!  Can't wait to tell you guys about the next step!

P.S.--We've received our water filters, sleeping bags, medical kits, and Mongolian/English dictionaries...I can't wait to get all our stuff and be able to use it when we finish training.

6 comments:

  1. Everything sounds amazing!!! Im so excited for you! I cant wait to read more and learn about the cultural differences, how ppl react to you (there arent many blacks in mongolia are there) and u living with ur host fam.

    After the first 3months of PST will u get ur own place, or do Mongolian PCV's still stay with a host family?

    also did you take that photo of the outside ger? the scenary is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are quite a few cultural differences! I can't even name them all. They're all pretty cool. For example, one of the many customs they have for receiving things is that you must accept with your right hand with your left hand supporting your right elbow. I'm trying to get used to it all. And they don't see a lot of black people here. I have people who stare all the time (usually kids) and once was asked to take my picture. It's fun. And after the first 3 months, we get our own place (a ger, a wood house, or an apartment) somewhere in the country. Also, I didn't take that picture (got it from google), but the scenery is literally that gorgeous in real life. It's breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorre! This is so fun to read. I'm glad to hear you're having a great time so far, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! I'll keep it updated...hopefully

      Delete
  4. Ahh so thats the "tent" you live in! lolz im joking! Glad everyone is so amazing. Im sure its worse that college in the overwhelming of everything! And thank the lord you are eating. I know most countries are centered around red meat as the only type since everything else is usually too expensive. Im already worried your going to come back 95 pounds! Cant wait for the next post to hear about your host family!

    p.s. your not allowed to stay more than 2 years btw. and i am buying you a scratch map (this is pre-gift gift) because you are a world traveler! this is your incentive to come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making sure to eat. lol. Lots of veggies and carbs, eggs every so often. lol. it's pretty good. Lol. I'll consider coming back....jk. I'll be back...Maybe in 2 years. lol. I love you and miss you to pieces!

      Delete