Wednesday 29 May 2013

And so the journey begins!

So today was certainly an emotional roller coaster!  I was up throughout the night sorting out various things to prepare to fly to DC today.  I finally finished (although I'm convinced that I still left some important things) and that's when the emotions started.  I said bye to my little brother before he left for school and started crying...no, not crying...BAWLING.  And then he started too!  So we were both bawling messes...which just made me cry harder!  Then my twin (my friend) and her mom came to see me, and that didn't help at all.  I got my stuff downstairs and began the journey.   But as we know, my life is eternally run by Murphy's law.  So of course, when we are a little over halfway to the airport,  I realized that I forgot my blue packet.  Winner right?  So we turned back around for me to get that and then went back to the airport.

At the airport,  I checked in my stuff (I swore that they would be overweight, but they made it!) and ran  to try to get to my gate after saying bye to my mommy (by this time it was l after 8 and boarding was at 8:30).  I got to security and my stuff had to go through like 4 times....why, you ask?  Murphy's law is why.  My mother put my seasoning in my camera bag just to make space and it came up as an awkward color in the screening.  Thus, they had to check it and open it and sprinkle and test before I could leave.  You know that you're late when they call your name on the loud speaker for final call for boarding!  I got on and continued with my crying saga.

About a half an hour later, the pilot said they were preparing for the descent (mind you, it was supposed to be an hour and a half flight).  I got off the plane and struggled with all my luggage (3 pull luggages and a camera bag) then took a cab to the hotel.  It was my first time in DC (although the airport was in VA, the hotel is in DC) and although I didn't get to fully experience the city, I can tell it's beautiful!  I checked in, got to my room, met my roommate, then went to go get food.  After getting food, I went back to the hotel to register for our training.  I got my passport, got my loan papers signed, and got a temporary debit card.  After that we started the session.

It was a long session (has to be to get out all the preparation info, right?), but I was glad to get to know the other M24s.  It seems like we have a fun group with great personalities.  I can't wait to get to know everyone better!  There are 46 of us and we're all so different but yet so similar.  I know training at post is gonna be great!

That's about all of my first day.  I got money, skyped my family and now I'm getting ready to go to bed so I can wake up at 4 am.  Despite all the emotions I've had today,  I can't wait to get started.  Today made me feel even more excited that I made this decision!  Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! <3 This post made me so happyyy!!! I seriously ran up to my boyfriend and was like "omg my friend just left for the peace corps and had her first official day!!!" and he responds.. "wait, is this an actual friend or just that chick u keep talking about from tumblr" (lolol).
    smh... ANYWAY ACTUAL FRIEND :) im so excited for you and I cant wait to read more! any ppl u clicked with or know ull like right away, or any cuties in ur cohort? lol wow these are gonna be the ppl u spend the next +2years of ur life with, im sure they are a great bunch! how long are u in DC for until u head to ur host country?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! That sounds like when I tell my mother about PC people and Tumblr. They just don't understand. I clicked with people. They're so cool. I even met someone who graduated from the same school I did! I'm so excited. I was only in DC for a day. I'm in the airport now getting ready to leave

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! ahaha ok cool beansss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never got to say bye to u even though I called like crazy.....:( have fun on ur new endeavor ma fav cuz :) and we can always skype when u get bored..... oh who am I kidding u never get bored u always has something to do. Love u sweetie. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete